Like all forms of cancer, early detection is extremely important. Be sure to check your mouth when brushing and flossing. If you notice any changes, or any of these signs and symptoms, contact Dr. Baker immediately, especially if you’ve experienced them for two weeks or more:
- A mouth sore that does not heal or that bleeds easily.
- A white or red patch in the mouth that will not go away.
- A lump, thickening or soreness in the mouth, throat, or on the tongue.
- Pain, tenderness or numbness anywhere in the mouth or lips.
- Difficulty chewing, swallowing food, speaking, or moving the jaw or tongue.
- A change in the way your teeth fit together when your mouth is closed.
Source: American Dental Association (ADA)