Coming in for an oral examination can help our Shelby Township, MI, dentists keep tabs on your teeth and gums so we are in a better position to catch potential problems early. At a , we’ll make sure you don’t have any underlying oral health issues through a variety of pain-free methods.
Our team can also answer any questions you may have about other treatments or restorations you’re interested in pursuing. Curious about how you can up your at-home oral care routine while sitting in the dental chair? We’ve got plenty of tips to offer!
Learn More → How to Practice Good Dental Hygiene
Here’s the breakdown of a regularly scheduled oral examination.
What Happens During an Oral Examination?
While many people have some degree of dental anxiety, an oral exam is nothing to fear. We strive to ensure a relaxing and welcoming office environment so you know you’re in good hands.
Here’s what you can expect for your next exam:
- Full mouth and periodontal (gum) exam: We’ll check your mouth for any signs of oral health issues, including gum disease.
- Oral cancer screening: We’ll visually and physically observe your mouth, jaw, and neck for any signs or symptoms of oral cancer.
- Periodic X-rays: You won’t need a dental X-ray every time you stop by our office, but we do recommend them occasionally to help us detect tooth decay, bone loss, or tumors.
- Thorough cleaning and flossing: Our hygienists will clean all of the hard-to-reach areas of your mouth, and lifting surface-level discoloration.
- Individual care consultations: We’ll work with you to discuss a treatment plan for any oral health issues we’ve discovered during the appointment, as well as any cosmetic dental procedures you might be interested in.
Feel free to also ask about our in-office fluoride treatments. While we usually recommend these treatments for children, patients of all ages can benefit from fluoride treatments to help keep cavities at bay. Many insurance plans cover fluoride treatments for all patients but it’s always wise to double check with yours.
Learn More → 8 Health Issues Your Dentist May Find
Our dentists in Shelby Township, MI, know that regular dental visits and exams can help you stay healthy. Call the dental office of Jeffrey T. Baker DDS PC today at (586) 992-9222 to request an appointment.